Wearing a Retainer to Maintain Straight Teeth
Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years! Here are some helpful hints to take care of your new retainer:
1. Wear your retainers FULL TIME! Full time wear is the extremely important for the first 6 months-1 year. After that time, you may wear the retainer at night. We will let you know when night-time wear is adequate.
2. Take your retainers out when eating. Do NOT wrap your retainer in a napkin!!! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
3. Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Retainer cleaners can also be used but do not take the place of brushing.
4. When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case!
5. Pets love to chew on retainers! Keep retainers away from pets.
6. It may be difficult to speak and swallow at first. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
7. Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
8. If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or if your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
9. Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
10. Keep retainers away from the inside of hot cars, pockets, the washing machine and dryer, and napkins!!!
Powers Orthodontics-2 convenient locations:
Near Linton: 195 E. Broad St. Box 236 Lyons, IN 47443
Terre Haute: 300 College Ave. Terre Haute, IN 47802
Phone: (812) 659-9100